I’m off to India, the land of my birth. For the next couple weeks, I’ll be staying in a small village which is home to peacocks and wonderful people. In fact, I will be staying in the house I was actually born in.
It has been 19 years since I was last there and my mother says I won’t recognize the place. I wonder what it will feel like to be in the room where I took my first breath. The very room in which I became me.
I took my first steps there, uttered my first words. Fell in love with earth.
India holds a special place in my heart, but that doesn’t mean that I am not deeply troubled by the many contradictions that come with it. Covered with temples dedicated to love, tantra, yoga, meditation, and self-awareness, yet women’s rights are still unequal and pollution is everywhere. Multi-billion dollar corporations dotting a landscape of such poverty.
It needs to be seen to be truly understood.
I would like to invite you to join me on this journey by following me on Instagram. I know it’s nowhere near the same as being there but the images and videos may peak your interest and excite your appetite to adventure there one day.
Here are some random facts about India to stir your curiosity:
- The board game Snakes and Ladders originated in India.
- Diamonds were first mined in India
- Freddie Mercury and Ben Kingsley are both of Indian descent
- India is the world’s second-largest English-speaking country
- India was once an island
- Indian languages belong to four of the world’s major language groups: Indo-European, Dravidian, Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Burman.
- India prides itself on being the world’s largest democracy
- India has the second highest population of Muslims in the world.
Send me your India stories or dreams. I would love to read them and I promise to share stories as they happen during my travels over there. If you haven’t already, please follow me at